About Me


I’m a fourth year medical student at the University of Glasgow.

I came to medical school via what I refer to as the scenic route. It took three attempts to get here, and during that time I became an ex-biomedical scientist (and I still know how to use a spectrophotometer properly) and an ex-public transport information giving monkey (and I still have a ridiculous amount of knowledge about buses stored in my head).

I love what I do. I’ve fallen in love with the city in which I do it. I’ve been known to email my mum at three o’clock in the morning, just to tell her that I’m the happiest girl in the world. 98% of the time, this is true — the remaining 2% has to do with exams and deadlines and sleep deprivation, and is thankfully self-limiting.

This blog is an attempt to chronicle my journey as I take the next steps towards becoming a doctor. The title is borrowed from Wicked:


“It’s time to trust my instincts, close my eyes, and leap…”


In order to protect confidentiality, anything that I might write about patients has been altered and fictionalised.


8 responses to “About Me

  1. kotoreru

    March 27, 2009 at 1:24 pm

    Lovely blog. Just read the first couple of posts about your road to getting into Medschool – fascinating stuff, you certainly deserve to be there!

    I may write a brief account of my own journey into Medicine, though I wish I could write as well as you.

    I follow your blog keenly…

  2. Madz

    July 21, 2009 at 6:49 pm


    I really like your blog, its really motivational!
    Im in a similar situation to what you were in (i messed up my finals so im going to do biomedical science) and the fact that you still went on to do Med afterwards is really super.

    Keep up the great blogging!

  3. PP

    August 23, 2009 at 5:59 pm

    I love your blog, Sefkhet. Every post has a very clear message as opposed to simply documenting your experiences at medical school, a trap that the majority of other blogs fall into. The story of how you eventually got into medical school is very inspiring. I’m starting at Glasgow in September and would be lucky to have someone like you as my Fresher Mum!

    Keep blogging 😀

  4. AQ

    June 25, 2010 at 3:34 am

    Heyy Sefkhet…I have just started reading your blog and am finding it very interesting. I would really like to read it from the beginning but cannot seem to find the posts before Jan 09.

  5. Theo

    February 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm

    This is by far the most interesting, intelligent and informative (alliteration yay!) blog about being a medical student I have found. I have almost finished reading the entire thing in one sitting and haven’t found a pointless or dull entry yet. Most blogs try (with varying success) to be witty and funny but fail to inform or enlighten. I will be starting medical school this September as a graduate and so have soaked up everything I’ve read eagerly. I especially liked the week in the life which was exactly what I was looking for. I can only hope that I will proove to be as determined, insightful and compassionate in my medical training as you seem to be. Thanks 🙂

  6. Anonymous

    March 11, 2013 at 8:29 pm

    whats your name?

  7. Anonymous

    April 17, 2017 at 10:27 pm

    I forwarded this to my daughter in medical school here in South Carolina, USA. 17 April 2017 A Proud Father.

  8. BestHuey

    August 12, 2018 at 1:05 pm

    I have noticed you don’t monetize your blog, don’t waste your
    traffic, you can earn additional bucks every
    month. You can use the best adsense alternative for any type of website
    (they approve all websites), for more info simply search in gooogle:
    boorfe’s tips monetize your website


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: